Proactive IT Requires Embedded Intelligence & Automation, Not Scripts
As IT continues to leverage artificial intelligence (AI) and automation to transform how IT operates and becomes more proactive, leveraging a solution that relies on manual scripts to monitor and troubleshoot Citrix is a giant step backward. And, anyone evaluating commercial solutions should pause and review whether something being marketed simultaneously as “out-of-the-box” and with a scripting library instead of ready functionality is really going to improve how they monitor and troubleshoot Citrix or VMware Horizon. Relying on 3rd party scripters to support your software can be a risk as it lacks structure, security standards, and documentation.
Risks of Depending on Scripts to Monitor Citrix Workspace or VMware Horizon
There are three main challenges to leveraging scripts either created by an individual or shared through a community setting when it comes to monitoring Citrix Workspace or VMware Horizon:
- Variability within the infrastructure makes it very hard to verify if scripts work in all conditions.
- Security vulnerabilities and variations in quality are common as there is no QA process and all script authors are equally skilled.
- Official support or documentation isn’t available so there is no recourse when issues occur, or updates are required.
Due to the risk and complexity that scripting adds, it can often go against the digital transformation initiatives that IT management is driving.
Questions to Ask When Evaluating Software That Claims Automation
It can be challenging for anyone at a management level to decipher the marketing behind a commercial product and understand if the product itself is performing actions, or if it requires manual scripts to work. If you are at a management level and evaluating commercial offerings to monitor Citrix or VMware Horizon, the following questions may help uncover the extent to which the product relies on manual actions instead of automated functionality. Without scripting can the software:
- Automatically discover my entire Citrix or VMware Horizon infrastructure and dynamically adjust as components change and alert if any component experiences slowness or failure?
- Proactively identify all IT elements, conditions, and failure points that could impact the end user experience, know industry standard thresholds, and alert when those thresholds are exceeded?
- Dynamically correlate data from end user behavior, to the endpoint, and through all elements of the data center to quickly isolate root cause and resolve when issues do arise?
- Automatically login as a real user would and identify if Citrix Workspace or VMware Horizon is slow or unavailable? Will it alert and report back when issues do arise so IT can address before end users are impacted?
- Run historical reports readily available automatically, analyzing data to provide insights around end user activity, end user performance, and overall system performance that can be shared with management, vendors, other IT teams and end users?
Proactive IT is Possible with Embedded Intelligence & Automation
Goliath Technologies offers software to monitor and troubleshoot end user experience across Citrix and VMware Horizon – regardless of where users or workloads are located. Instead of leveraging manual scripts, Goliath has embedded intelligence and automation that automatically discovers your Citrix or VMware Horizon environment. Then without any manual intervention, the software will proactively identify all potential IT elements, conditions and failure points that impact end user experience. With the intelligence built in, the solution knows what thresholds to set and alerts anytime any of those thresholds are exceeded. Now IT Pros can discover and resolve end user performance issues, before end users are ever impacted. All without creating, running, or testing a script.
With Goliath’s embedded intelligence and automation, clients of Goliath share that it has the operational impact of hiring 2-3 full time troubleshooting experts. John Bennett, Principal Consultant and Head of EPM Practice at Critigen, shares that “Goliath’s embedded intelligence and automation not only helps us troubleshoot but also proactively prevents end user performance issues from happening.”
To learn more, visit Goliath’s product pages around how IT leverages its embedded intelligence and automation to anticipate, troubleshoot, and document end user experience issues across Citrix Workspace and VMware Horizon.